Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday November 1, John 14.21-22

John 14.21-22  21They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?”


Thoughts:  Such a little passage for today.  At first read I'm caught a bit off guard as it seems that this might be an "If - Then" kind of statement from Jesus.  IF you keep my commandments, THEN you'll be loved.  But that's not a faithful reading of the text.  It simply says that those who have Jesus' commandments (to love one another, to serve etc...) and keep them are those who love him.  Love is not a feeling, love is a choice.  And this choice of following in love will result in actions of love.  And in this very act of loving, we will begin to see Jesus (reveal myself to them) more clearly.   Love truly is the means by which one begins to see Christ and it is this lack of love for the world that keeps one from seeing Christ.  Very powerful little text.
 
Questioins:  Can you love someone and still not like them?  What does 'love' mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment