Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thursday October 13, John 8.43-50

So sorry....I thought I had the blog set up in advance..and it wasn't this week.  Here are the posts

John 8.43-50

Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word.You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.
Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.”The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?”Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge.

Thoughts:  Wow, maybe this is why I didn't post this day--it's a hard little passage.  Truth.  The funny thing about truth is that most of us believe what we want to believe and then convince ourselves that it is truth.  It's obvious that Jesus has come to convict us of those things that we hold on to as truth...but in reality are the makings of our own agenda.   What I find so troubling about this passage is its honest reflection of us.  If we don't agree with someone we automatically demonize them---"Are we not right in saying you are a Samaritan and have a demon?"  

Questions:  When have you unfairly demonized someone or something because it failed to meet your criteria of truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment